So, in light of the fact that I feel like I’m going crazy, and it seems like I’ve spent the past week doing nothing – we’re gonna have a review day.
Basically I’m using this as a way to prove to myself that I’m not a total loon.
In the past ten days I have done the following:
- Drove Kaleb to Orlando for a neurology appointment the day after he gets suspended for the third time (“Insubordination, refusal to listen to adults, running away twice, causing campus disruption).
- Introduced Kaleb to the Solar System (and no Daddy – I did not bring up Pluto pre-declassification)
- Spent a night doing everything in my power to keep Kaleb awake until midnight – then promptly woke him up at 5am to prepare for a sleep-deprived EEG (this was harder on me than it was on him – he was pissy, but totally cool with the lack of sleep by the end of it)
- Drove back to Orlando for an EEG – which ended up including bribery (of the ice cream variety), and a 20 minute power nap for the kid whose second wind hit like a hurricane
- Vent to Daddy until he’s ready to strangle me.
- Send Kaleb back to school, have a walk meeting. Walk meeting promptly interrupted by Kaleb being suspended again (Refusing to stand up, refusing to go to special area).
- Talk to a Special Education Attorney as I pull my hair out and start shopping for wigs.
- Blogged about my frustration (is Blogged even a word?)
- Watched the Biggest Loser and felt like a slack-a$$
- Got insomnia and wrote Anything But Ordinary…
- Entered a manuscript in Amazon’s Breakthrough Novel Award contest – seriously nail-bitting stuff
- Dealt with an average of five hours of Oscar worthy meltdowns a day from both Monsters
- Made breakfast, lunch and dinner each day
- Bitched to Daddy some more, just because I know he’d feel like life was way too smooth without me freaking out about something.
- Made cupcakes that sucked.
- Bought cupcakes that were amazing.
- Lost cupcakes to theiving thief Monsters who learned what happens when you’ve Been Caught Stealing…
- Learned that I can add links to my blog posts and made a decision to make everyone crazy
- Studied my tail feathers off for Kaleb’s IEP meeting
- Worked on the assignments for my non-profit class
- (Mostly) reorganized my closet and our bedroom
- Kept the house (mostly) clean
- Booked the location and date for this year’s Walk kick off and awards ceremony
- Secured food donations for the kick off
- Played with my kids, went rollerblading, danced like a lunatic, and made a mess of the (mostly) clean house.
- Rocked the socks off Movie Night
- Patched Kaleb’s blanke
- Worked on timelines, goals, agendas and job descriptions for the upcoming Walk meeting
- Had a two and a half hour marathon IEP meeting
- Sat down with my co-chair to discuss upcoming Walk meeting (Thanks again ‘C’ for hanging with Mase!)
- Got a phone call from school telling me Kaleb has been suspended again
- Lost. My. Mind.
So… there you have it. That’s what my life looked like over the past week – and that’s the crap I can remember. Countless hours on the phone, the computer, and a rockin’ lack of sleep.
Now he’s been suspended again. Because he hit another child in the face (who, according to Kaleb, was breaking the rules) – even though we just spent a large chunk of time detailing the things that will set him off, the signs it will happen, and ways to prevent, or intervene.
Here is what I am going to do next:
I’ve made my phone calls and left my messages. I’ve (as soon as I post this) officially bitched online to a group of strangers who probably couldn’t care less about my problems – but it still makes me feel better. I’ve picked up my house, made lunch, and put the boys down for a nap. Now, as soon as Mason is done taking a nap I am going to the store, and I’m buying cupcakes. A lot of cupcakes. Then, after the kids go to bed, I am going to sit myself down, and I’m going to eat those cupcakes with the kind of glorious satisfaction one can only get from doing something so insane. I’m going to do that while I watch The Biggest Loser. Then I’m going to drown my mommy guilt in more cupcakes, while I try and fool myself into working out tomorrow (yeah, ’cause that’s so going to happen).